It was a long time coming, but from the 12th of November 2017 hemp has been able to be legally sold as a food product in Australia!
We reproduce here some information from the Hemp Foods Australia website:
Hemp seeds nutrition
The benefits of hemp seeds are clear and simple - it has been re-tested and proven throughout the world. Hemp seed contains high amounts of protein and omega 3 and omega 6 essential fatty acids. Hemp seed contains GLA and both soluble and insoluble fibre. Please review our hemp seed nutritional analysis below and don't delay - get the benefits of hemp seeds today! Oh. No, there is no drug effects from consuming hemp seed oil - pure and natural nutrition only. To get all your organic hemp seed oil benefits we recommend 1-2 Tbsp of hemp oil and 2-3 Tbsp of hemp seeds per day. After consuming such good nutrition for just a week or two you will notice the benefits straight away.
Read this definitive article about hemp seed nutrition and learn why hemp seeds, hemp protein and hemp oil will work for you.
Quick Hemp Seed Facts:
Our organic hulled hemp seeds are:
- High in quality edestin (66%) protein (33%)
- High in omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids (EFAs) in a long-term beneficial ratio
- Very high in phosphorous (3 Tbsp hulled hemp seeds contain 45% of RDA). Phosphorous works with calcium and is crucial for the development of bones and teeth as well as maintaining the pH level of body fluids.
- Good source of B vitamins - particularly Niacin (B3), Thiamine (B1), Folate (B9) and vitamin B6. The vitamin B complex is essential for energy production, a healthy nervous system and good digestion. You may get up to 30% of some B vitamins just from adding a regular serving size (30g) of hulled hemp seeds to your daily diet.
- Great for pregnant women and healthy for children.